Ready to collect creatures? How about transforming into them? Okay how about fusing them together? Cassette Beasts is what you need then.
I won’t hide any excitement over this one, I absolutely adore the idea behind it and the visual style. Bringing back good memories of the classics I grew up with playing late night on Game Boy in bed (many forms of Pokemon…) but with a nice modern refresh to it.
The developers just announced it’s releasing on April 26th with a new trailer:
- Transform into monsters…using retro cassette tapes?! Faced with the constant threat of monster attacks, the residents of Harbourtown, New Wirral choose to fight fire with fire. Record a monster to tape, then play it back to take on its form for battle!
- Fuse monster forms! Getting close to your companion has benefits–while transformed you can combine your strengths to gain the upper hand in battle! Any two monster forms can be fused to produce unique, fully-animated new fusion forms.
- Explore a rich open world – Certain monster abilities can be used in human form. You’ll need these to help you get around, solve puzzles, and locate dungeons. Glide, fly, swim, climb, dash, or turn magnetic!
- Travel alongside a diverse cast of human companions – Never fight alone! Form bonds, spend time together, and help your selected partner complete personal goals to become a better team. The strength of your relationship determines how well you’re able to fuse!
- Master a deep battle system – Take advantage of elemental chemistry to apply extra buffs or debuffs alongside your attack, or even alter your opponent’s elemental type!
- Play couch-co op with Friends – Team up in local multiplayer with a friend to explore an open world, transform and battle together! Facing the unknown as a duo will surely develop your relationship!
You can follow it on Steam.
Curious to know about Linux support? Well it was built in Godot Engine, it will have Native Linux support and the last demo was fantastic to play on Steam Deck too.