Media Molecule has announced that it will be ending support for Dreams on September 1.
In an article posted on the game’s official website, the studio has explained that it’s “made the difficult decision to discontinue live support for Dreams after September 1, 2023 to shift our focus to an exciting new project”.
Players will still be able to play, create and share content on the game after September 1, but it will be receiving no further updates after this date.
The game will also be migrating to a new server in late May, at which point players will be given a storage limit of 5GB for their creations.
Dreams – release date trailer
Players’ current creations will not count towards this limit – only those uploaded after the server migration will count towards their storage limit.
Media Molecule notes that Dreams is not being pulled from sale on September 1, and that the game will still be available to buy.
It also says it’s working on an entirely new project, stressing: “We are not ready to talk about this yet, [but] we can confirm that it is not Dreams 2, or the Dreams IP.”
Speaking of the decision to end support, the studio’s statement reads: “We know this won’t be an easy message for everyone to hear, and it’s certainly not been an easy decision.
“Dreams has been a special project for Media Molecule and helping this burgeoning community of game developers, tinkerers, creatives, collaborators and dreamers grow and express themselves remains one of the best things we’ve ever done.
“Thank you for being part of it with us – we look forward to you joining us on our next adventure.”
The full list of changes being made when the server migrates in late May is published below.
Media Molecule announced in December that studio co-founder and art director Kareem Ettouney was set to leave the company in early 2023.
Ettouney co-founded Media Molecule in 2006 with, among others, creative director Mark Healey and technical directors Alex Evans and Dave Smith, who all previously worked together at Lionhead.
Shortly after the release of Dreams in 2020, Evans announced he was leaving Media Molecule to take a break from game development and explore new opportunities.
The Guildford, UK-based studio, which is also behind the Tearaway series, was acquired by Sony Interactive Entertainment in 2010.
Dreams – late May server migration changes
As part of the Dreams server migration, in an effort to preserve the security and stability of the Dreams server for all players, there will be a storage limit of up to 5GB from the date of the Dreams server migration. This 5GB limit will be added for players on the date of server migration. Your existing creations will not count towards the limits. New limits are as follows:
- Storage Space – 5GB online, 1GB local
- Photos – 256 online, 128 local
- Creations – 256 online, 256 local
- Versions – 512 per creation online, 1024 across all creations local
Deletion & Archiving
- To help you manage your content you’ll now be able to delete, rather than archive, creations.
- We are removing archiving as a feature. Creations that were archived prior to the date of the server migration will be unarchived and available in your saved creations, where you can choose to delete them.
- We have simplified release screens, making it easier for you to publish your Dreams creations.
- You can now release Dreams creations as PUBLIC that contain PRIVATE content.
- We’ve improved clarity for versions – global LOCAL version limit is called out where it wasn’t previously and we’ve named the two key versions Latest Online and Lead.
- We are removing prize bubbles from Dreams. Please make PRIVATE prizes PUBLIC if you’d like fellow players to use them. Specifically:
- Creations that included prizes in bubbles will now display empty bubbles.
- You will no longer have access to this feature from the Gadgets menu.
- Unfortunately, from April 2023 and after the last CoMmunity Jam, we will no longer be holding additional CoMmunity Jams. The Hall of Fame will still feature previous jam content. We have loved seeing all your brilliantly creative entries to these – thank you!
Quests and Trophies
- We are removing the following Creative Imp Quests:
- Creative Thinker – Welcome Home Theme
- Creative Thinking – Ancient Temple Theme
- If you have already earned PSN Trophies related to the above Creative Imp Quests this will not impact you, including if you have already earned a Dreams PSN Platinum Trophy. New players of Dreams will be able to unlock replacement trophies. If you have PSN Trophies in progress in relation to the above Creative Imp Quests, you will lose any progress in respect of that PSN Trophy and need to complete the new requirements to unlock the applicable replacement trophy.
- To unlock the replacement PSN Trophies, you will have to perform the following:
- 2D platformer Template & Ancient Dangers Template – you will have to carry out the Play & Edit. If you have completed these already, you only need to walk through the Play & Edit exit door again to re-trigger the PSN Trophy.
- We are modifying the following PSN Trophies:
- Come Aboard: enter DreamShaping after having completed the Camera Quests
- Home Visit: visit another player’s profile
- Pop All The Bubbles: modification to the trophy description
- We are temporarily removing the audio importer. We expect to be restoring it before October 2023.
- When restored, you will no longer need to be online for microphone recordings and the number of uploads per day limit will be removed.
- We are removing Twitch integration (Twitch Buddy).
- We are removing the ‘Message of the Day’ feature.
- Players won’t receive a notification when they are @ mentioned in creation titles or version notes.
- You must now page through comments.
- You will no longer be able to view:
- What another player has been doing via the other player’s activity feed (what they played, liked, left a comment on, took a photo of, etc.)
- What other players have been doing related to a creation (the owner released a new version, another player left a review, took a photo, etc.)
- Scoreboards will only show the top 100 entries.
- We are removing Friends Scoreboards – you will not see PSN friend score comparisons.
- Homespaces are now local only (no visiting others’ homespaces).
- Linking to creations and players by ID in titles and descriptions will no longer be possible.
- You will not be able to open a creation in-game from indreams.
- “Tools” option in the header user account menu will be removed.
- The following live tools are being removed:
- Play now
- Send to imp
- Keyboard entry
- Taking photos is now limited to a maximum of 15 photos before saving (local save space limit allowing).
- You must select where you want to save photos to as part of the flow: online or locally.
- Uploading photos now deletes the local version.
- We have removed elements of the filter functionality in photo management and removed the ability to search photos by tag when selecting what photo to add to a cover page.
- We will be removing the Dreams trial from the PlayStation Store. If you are playing Dreams on a trial, you will need to buy the full game to continue accessing Dreams.
- Your personalised comfort rating is now visible on content.
- There are no comfort ratings on maps and collections.